Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Peace, the Price is Right...

Okay, a lot of cogent commentary has come out of the horse racing issue from; you can't just do things about "the worst things" to "what happens to the horses if there is no racing." I just wish I could come up with a subject that would bring this kind of discussion to the table more frequently. I truly respect all opinions, and I know I've been wrong on many issues (three marriages for a five star example), so we will continue fresh now. Unless anyone else...nah. Read the comments from that post, they're all well thought out.

How in the hell could major league baseball have screwed up more with this World Series? Choosing to play in the weather they have chosen, and the umpiring, oy! You HAVE NOT heard this here first, but this year's World Series will always be remembered for those last two factors...does anyone really know a TRUE Phillies or Devil Rays fan. I have a wide range of friends and acquaintances, and at the moment I can't think of one. Well there is one guy in Florida, but I'm sure he was an Indians fan first. The strike zones have been widely varied, and that call at third, well the whole world could see that one BEFORE the replay. Being an umpire, I'm questioning my self! Now there's a possibility that the World Series will end up with a three inning mini-game, but those are the rules. I'm all for the current system, but does anybody think the Series should be played in a warm weather or domed site? That would be too much to take...it's not the Super Bowl, which is slowly turning into a national holiday. Unfortunately, too close to Martin Luther King Day.

If your are seriously into the psychology of the psychotic (there's a pleasant topic) read The Thrill of it All by Simon Braatz. It's about the famous Leopold and Loeb case of the 1920's, a little slow at times, but as I stated before a great glimpse into the period also. I have no extra fascination with murder, but how the mind works...I've spent a lot of the past five years trying to figure out how this one works. I go to bed a lot of nights wondering where space ends. I'm hitting the road soon with a friend, and must pack some very light reading.

I truly fear for Obama. It's hard even to type those words. I listened to a secret service agent on NPR, and it was chilling. The white supremacists, skinheads...whatever, are real. You've all heard about the recent plan by the two idiots who were going to attempt to assassinate Obama and kill 88 kids. I'm not trying to be redundant here, but the 88 thing...HH...the eighth letter in the alphabet...sixty some years later that misogynist Hitler still has influence at this level! Time does not heal all wounds quickly enough.

On a lighter note, how about Ted Stevens, Alaska, Republican congressman getting what he deserved for taking bribes...including a Viking grill! Did it come with a spatula and all the trimmings? I heard Gov Palin's take on the deal, but it didn't make any sense. He was also the prime mover on the "bridge to nowhere". Who am I'm kidding, thinking a new regime in Washington is going to change anything. It all goes back to the old saw, why would someone spend millions to get a job that pays thousands.

They just officially cancelled tonight's continuation of the World Series. Good deal for both teams. The Devil Rays only have to win a three inning game, and the Phillies can bring back Hamels if there is a seventh game. The Devil Rays have to throw their best pitcher tomorrow night...Garza will need more rest, so roll out the rookie Price.

Ask not what your country can do for you...ask who's running it...later, biff

No comments: