Friday, October 24, 2008

Breeder's Cup...money Departed, Palin puck problems...

So I had the first exacta...with a morning line 6-1 on top paid 12.80! Not a a good sign. There was a heartfelt story in the second race. The twenty-nine year old trainer of Maram, Chad Brown, missed his grandfather's funeral to supervise the saddling of the winner. It was nice to see an American horse win a turf race. With these synthetic tracks (less abusive) I have no clue. Some horses don't really like the stuff, even though it's easier on them. So my strategy was to bet one exacta (both ways) in all fourteen of the Cup races. In the fifth, third BC race, I had half of the exacta and my other horse was in in until the final three hundred yards. So I'm one for three with eleven to go. I'll need at least two more scores to come out of the two days a winner. In the sixth, winner Forever Together has an interesting part of her training regimen...she gets a pint of Guiness every morning. They're still looking for my duo. The first day looks dim for the old man...sucks when you cash the first ticket. In the next, and last race on today's card, I had to go against the odds on favorite Zenyatta. Well, she, with the name from the Police's (which the original vinyl is on the shelf,right behind me) third album ran away like her tail was on fire. She did what the Patriots couldn't, she ran the table. If Curlin gets beat tomorrow she could be The Horse of the Year.



The best line in the Departed is when Matt Damon tells the shrink what Freud said about the Irish, "They're the only people who are impervious to psychoanalysis." I'm Irish...and Im buyin' it.

How about Sarah Palin causing an injury at an NHL game? In St. Louis, the mat laid out for her to drop the opening puck tripped up goalie Manny Legace, and he had to leave after the first period. Anyone else think this was taking the "hockey Mom" bit a little too far?

You know, when Obama throws out the first pitch in D.C. the Nationals might sign him when you think of their pitching staff. I've seen his jump shot...

The fact that Jimmy Rollins didn't go ape shit when the ball hit his shirt the other night is simple in my mind. I don't think he really knew he was hit. Bear with me, I umpire on the High School level and have awarded a kid first in that very situation...and the batter looks at me like I'm nuts. He doesn't realize he's been hit! Rollins, had he been positive (being 0-9 at the time, and at such a critical time of the game) he would have lit up the blue like an umpire bon fire.

All right it's Saturday morning and hope springs eternal for my afternoon at the races...which is known as the "dungeon" in my house. It's actually very nice, I'm surrounded by books, albums, sports memorabilia and the washer/dryer is in the next room. The latter sort of allows my existence down here.

So, after hitting the first exacta yesterday (a measly $12.80), at four dollars per bet ( for the sake of conversation), two dollars each way on the combinations...I'm down $27.20. In order to come out ahead I need to hit at least two out of the nine races today. I have a total of thirty six dollars invested today. For those playing along at home here are today's bets:
Race 1 1-4
Race 2 2-5
Race 3 1-6
Race 4 5-11
Race 5 6-11
Race 6 4-8
Race 7 1-2
Race 8 2-11
Race 9 1-2

Yes I went against the returning champ in the last race, Curlin, for two reasons...the price has no value, and he's never been across the synthetic track.

I'm still solid with the Devil Rays, but with a looming monsoon in this area, I doubt they'll play tonight. If they do, Digger Phelps son-in-law, Jamie Moyer could be in for a long night. Once again I say bunt on the forty-five year old guy. It's funny, but the Phillies and their big sticks and the Devil Rays with their jack-rabbit running game has sort of reversed the roles of the leagues in this World Series.

May the horse be with you, later, biff

3 comments:

annelstephens@gmail.com said...

Ben says that horse racing is the most horrific sport there is. Did you see the episode of "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel" that exposes the "sport"? By the way, how does your vegetarian daughter feel about your love of said "sport"?

DERECHO said...

Have you ever watched Mixed Martial Arts? Or Golf? Horrific stuff.
Wait, I forgot Golf isn't a sport.

Cheating is at the core of our society and sport is no different. It's quite unfortunate for the ponies to be subjected to such vile treatment.
Too bad Mister and Ms. Eds/Edwinas don't have a say in what type of drug or the size of the dose.
Imagine if they did?

Caribou Barbie spent 22K on a Hollywood makeup artist in less than 2 weeks.
I wonder if anyone on her staff has the stones to tell her she still looks like Tina Oy Fey.

Izquierda

Ivy said...

Well, frankly, I have to ask if Ben has ever watched a bullfight. That would hands down get my vote for Most Horrific Sport. An event whose sole purpose is to draw out the killing of a bull versus one whose participants get to run (and horses do indeed like to run) around for a while? No competition.

There are, of course, problems with horse racing, but the entire well-being of the sport (no quotes needed, by the way) depends upon keeping its athletes in peak condition, and arguably, the anorexia-pressured jockeys might have a worse time than the horses in this respect (I wonder, too, how much the welfare of the jockeys played into this 'horrific' statement. Or was it simply that of the horses that was of concern?).

What do I think about the sport? It's certainly not the greatest thing in the world, nor is it as terrible as many make it out to be. As with almost any issue, I think you need to examine it from all sides in order to make an argument, condemnation, or judgment. Regarding my dad's interest in horse racing, there are a couple of factors you have to consider. He used to work on a track, and is perhaps more qualified than your Average Jim (Joe is overused these days) to formulate opinions on the workings of racing. I stand corrected if wrong, but had these workings proven horrific, he'd probably have quit on principle.

In related news, I'd much rather be a thoroughbred running flat races that steeplechasing.