Thursday, November 6, 2008

Miles,Obama, CC, Maine women, foxes?

So goes the nation...nah. My guest writer's state is as good a prognosticator as I am.

All right, back from delivering the monster (in size) dog to Florida. We took what seemed like the longest route possible from Vermont to Florida. We actually went through Scranton, PA and Charlotte, NC. While in Charlotte we stopped to see an old friend who actually lives next to NASCAR driver Greg Biffle. Too bad I couldn't have met him, you know the old, "Mr Biffle meet biff " gag. Lowest gas price paid was $2.07 in Georgia. I couldn't get a fake beer (NA) at most of our stops south of Virginia. One thing I noticed was the lack of signage considering it was a presidential election year. I'm sure people were stealing the Obama signs as soon as they went up...and they'll be on ebay soon. It was a tremendously long drive, but it was beautiful in our destination, Coconut Grove. Though obviously off season the economy's lack of energy was quite evident. Outside cafe tables were way too empty even for early November, and closed store fronts were obvious. It's a live (gag) Jimmy Buiffet song when the tourists aren't around. You know, the rigging of the sailboats serenading the gulls, and there seems to be more flip-flops per capita anywhere other than a college campus. But it's not the seventies, when I lived there; too many white table cloths, Prada and designer sunglasses. And, not a whiff of pachouli.

We new Obama would win..but I'm a little suspicious about how quickly W put the olive branch out for the transition. First time we've seen the guy in quite some time. Can anyone remember a more lame duck president?

All the news of Sarah Palin being a pain-in-the ass to her handlers doesn't come as a surprise, but the fact that she thought Africa was a nation is quite hard to swallow. I guess it came up when she asked if South Africa was part of Africa or a separate nation. The sale of "Palin in 2012" tee-shirts were on sale in Wasilla, Alaska...but I think she's going to remembered more like Dan Quayle in a skirt.

McCain was gracious in defeat...but if I had a tree to sit under near Sedona, AZ to contemplate life, I promise, even I could be gracious.

I really wish Obama had picked Bill Bradley as vice president...unbeatable White House basket- ball team. I know Obama played on his Hawaiian High School state championship basketball team in 1979, but I would like to know if he started or how much he played? I wonder who was the best athlete to occupy the top job? Ford played football at Michigan and Bush the elder started at first base for Yale.

The first time I was aware of Obama was when my wife wrote an article about him for Black History month in February 2007. It's amazing that the campaign has been going on almost that long. Don't you think there should be a time limit on running for office?

The Prop 8 defeat was such a drag...who gives a shit who marries? My brother told me one of the 26 props in San Francisco was to name a dump after George W. Bush. It was defeated, but it's more amazing that it was on the ballot.

Okay, my guess is most of you are happy about the election, but what a mess this man has to clean up. Clinton let me down on some issues (gays in the military, for one), but he didn't step into the quagmire that's facing the president elect.

The Knicks have won two games. I'm amazed. The NBA has been great so far...but none of you care.

The Yankees, according to New York sports radio, are going to offer C C Sabathia (he has asked for the periods to be dropped from his C's) thirty million a year. I can't believe it, but I always have been in favor of athletes getting what they can. I'd rather them have the money than the owners. I figure it gets back into the economy quicker that way. After all, how many guys that have made millions in professional sports are broke? It's sad, but most of that money went directly into the economy...not into the ether of the stock market. Sabathia has said he'd rather stay on the west coast, and in the National League so he can hit...but thirty million a year? The Dodgers have offered Manny a large contract...I suggest he take it. He's invisible in LA. The NFL salaries were listed in the USA Today and Ben Rothlisberger makes $27,701,920 this year.

Tell me women aren't tough in Maine. A female jogger near Presque Isle ran with a rabid fox gripping her arm for a mile to her car! Then she pried the jaws of the fox open and threw it in her truck! She then went directly to a hospital for repairs and have the fox tested...oy!

College football has come down to the BCS arguments. My Missouri friends, you gotta lay the 27 points over K State and THEIR lame duck coach. And Rice, who averages about forty points a game, has to beat Army by more than eleven, no? Colorado should cover (9 and 1/2) over Iowa State and I like Alabama giving LSU three and a half. Way too many predictions this week.

It's full on ugly fall here in Connecticut...rain, fog and arthritis inspiring dampness...I did see some Christmas crap going up...but I won't get started on that...too soon...later, biff

1 comment:

annelstephens@gmail.com said...

Obama speech "A More Perfect Union"--listen on YouTube. Ben hooked me up, but I can only listen in snippets---I become a crying fool. What a man! I'm not sure how much I "Believe" these days, but I'm going to pray to Someone to keep him safe.
Peace