Saturday, September 27, 2008

biffinfo

My thoughts today, and American football Saturday, led me to revisiting one of my most mind-boggling pet peeves. "Prior to the snap, false start by the offense." I've put in over fifty years trying to figure out how a "false start" could occur AFTER the snap! I had letters published in newspapers and magazines trying to unravel this idiocy. I've written the NFL, NCAA and the CIAC (Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Commission)...lip-service, vague replies. Slowly, some officials have dropped the "prior to the snap" preamble...but I hear it way too much. A small cross to bear? Maybe, it is one of mine.

To end this on a positive note, I did manage to have a PP (pet peeve) eliminated by the New York Times advance mailings of their Book Review. They used to put the mailing address label over text on the front page! All they had to do was apply to the top of the front page to correct this infuriating procedure. About three weeks after a letter to the Times people the label was miraculously moved to its current innocuous position.

This is a trial run. Please feel free to respond. May the horse be with you (Curlin today), later, biff

1 comment:

Angus said...

Biff,
So great you started a blog. I can't wait to read the daily updates. Couple subjects you could tackle for me? When you live in california how long until you can drop the Rangers and become a son jose sharks fan? Who would win between McCain/Palin and Barack/Biden in two on two hoops?